Welcome to Our 42nd Regatta!
Street Address of Event:
3699 Crown Point Drive
San Diego, CA 92109
The San Diego Crew Classic is held on Crown Point Shores in Mission Bay, which is just 6.5 miles from the San Diego International Airport. We have a selection of hotel recommendations on our website that are all within a few miles of the venue and the airport. Mission Bay is also close to many San Diego attractions such as the world famous San Diego Zoo, our beautiful Balboa Park and SeaWorld, which is right behind the start of the race!
Racing begins at 7:30 a.m. each day, ending at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday and 3 p.m. on Sunday. Each morning starts with the singing of the National Anthem. This year singer, songwriter and national recording artist — Steven Ybarra — will sing on Saturday morning and Robert Adams will sing on Sunday morning. Check the schedule at crewclassic.org/schedule to find your athlete’s race time. Allow plenty of time to reach the venue. Parking will be tight, but we offer a free shuttle service from designated parking lots. More details at crewclassic.org/for-spectators/general-information/dates-and-times/.
We will have a free preview day on Friday—the Beer Garden, featuring award-winning local craft beers, will open at 1 p.m., and some food service will be available. Many crews will be practicing on the water, so there will be a lot of action to see. Also, many of the trade show vendors will be open on Friday. We encourage you to come out that day and get a taste of what’s to come.
First-time visitors are always amazed by the large size of the regatta and the number of activities. We have a lot of fun here! Some things to note:
- The weather is, well, just about perfect. San Diego is known for its weather, but first-timers seem to be taken aback by all that sunshine. So, bring some sunscreen or buy some in our merchandise tent. Also, bring a sweater because in the springtime it can get chilly in the mornings and late afternoon. Or buy a Crew Classic sweatshirt in our merchandise tent.
- We have a Jumbotron! You can’t be in two places at once, but you can watch your athlete from start to finish at the Crew Classic. Each race is filmed, from start to finish. You can purchase a DVD or digital download of the race minutes after it’s completed. Many parents tell us that this is their favorite feature of the regatta.
- We’re pretty proud of our Beer Garden and Brew Classic. Our Beer Garden is a perfect spot to watch the race from the shore! San Diego has a burgeoning craft beer scene; sample some of our local craft beers at the San Diego Brew Classic.
- Come hungry. We start serving food as early as 6 a.m. Later in the day, we’ll have many options for lunch or just a snack. Be advised that you can’t come all the way to San Diego without trying a fish taco.
- And don’t forget about the competition! The caliber of racing at the San Diego Crew Classic is unsurpassed. Races take off every 10 minutes or less, so there are always boats coming down the course.
A FEW LAST WORDS
The San Diego Crew Classic website provides information on everything you need to know about the regatta. Be sure to read about the Friday night Pasta Dinner, and Alumni and Club Tent Row. You can also “like” us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to see what’s happening!
What is the closest hotel to the event? I’d like to be within walking distance.
Unfortunately, there are no hotels on Crown Point Shores. The closest hotel to the venue is Paradise Point. They have a limited number of rooms at a special rate saved just for Crew Classic participants and spectators. Across the street, a free shuttle will take you to the venue. Walking is possible from Paradise Point, but it’s a bit of a jaunt. The next closest hotels are: The Dana Inn, The Bahia and the Hilton Regency Mission Bay. Visit our list of hotels at crewclassic.org/hotel.
I’d rather not drive. Can I get around without renting a car? Because everything is so close (race course, hotels, attractions), you could get by with short cab rides during your stay. Most hotels have shuttles from the airport, but check with your hotel to make sure. Your hotel could also help you with public transportation information about getting around the city. If you’re concerned about driving in an unfamiliar city, however, don’t worry: San Diego is very easy to navigate. Enterprise Car Rental has a special rate for Crew Classic participants and spectators. Special code: 32F2131
I just found out that my son/daughter is rowing there this weekend. Can you help me find a hotel room? I’ve never been to San Diego. I don’t know where to begin. This could be a little tricky, but so far we’ve always been able to find a place for last-minute attendees. Our regatta sometimes falls on a busy spring break week, so hotels can be booked up. If none of the hotels on our list have rooms available, and if you’re willing to stay a bit further out away from the Mission Bay area, then check out Mission Valley/Old Town, Uptown or Downtown – these neighborhoods are all still close to the course. For great information about hotels in San Diego, go to sandiego.org.
Any recommendations for restaurants or sightseeing activities? Our friends at The San Diego Tourism Authority have a table at the regatta, very close to the largest white tent on the venue. They are an excellent source for anything you could possibly want to know about San Diego, from restaurants, to shopping malls, to golf, to where to rent a little sail boat for the day. If you’d like to do some restaurant research now, San Diego Magazine publishes a list of some of the best restaurants in town on their website at sandiegomagazine.com.