Want to Row?
Rowing is a very good fitness activity. It burns nearly the same amount of calories per hour as does cross-country skiing—the best aerobic activity. Rowing strengthens your upper and lower body as well as your heart muscle. The motion of rowing is not hard on the joints, therefore the sport can be continued throughout your life, with little injury. For the competitive rowers, who are driving their shells as fast as possible, to the non-competitive, recreational rower, who enjoys the challenge of achieving the perfect stroke, or the tranquility of an early morning of bird watching, Mission Bay offers a perfect body of water for all rowers.
One of the local organizations has a Q&A page with general rowing information and good reference materials.
Local Rowing Organizations
- Adult and Masters rowing
- Collegiate rowing
- Junior rowing
Southern California Rowing Events
- December – The Winter Classic, Mission Bay
- January – Beach Sprints – Long Beach
- February – San Diego Indoor Classic
- March – Spring Regatta – Long Beach
- April – San Diego Crew Classic!
- November – Row for the Cure – San Diego
- November – The Fall Classic – San Diego
- November – Newport Autumn Rowing Festival (NARF) – Newport Beach